Mom wanted us to have curd rice daily because this was traditionally passed to her from her mom. Definitely this myth seems to have some scientific reason behind it. Curd or yogurt is the fermented milk, which is known to have several health benefits. It is health-promoting food and one of the most valuable therapeutic foods we can have in our daily diet.
10 Reasons for yogurt to be a top health food:
- Yogurt with active culture contributes to good colon: Yogurt contains lactobacteria, intestines-friendly bacterial cultures that foster a healthy colon. It reduces the conversion bile into carcinogenic bile acids, thus reduces the occurrence of colon cancer. Yogurt aids healing of colon after intestinal infections especially in children. Proved beneficial for the lactose intolerants as they can gain all the nutritive contents of milk through curd.
- Yogurt improves the bioavailability of other nutrients: Increases the absorption of calcium and B-vitamins for other foods.
- Yogurt can boost immunity: Researchers have found that people who consume yogurt regularly has increased interferon cells and hence has more infection fighting white cells.
- Yogurt decreases the yeast infections: Yogurt may discourage vaginal Candida/Yeast infections in women especially in diabetics.
- Yogurt can lower the cholesterol and also hypertension: Few studies have indicated that yogurt has decreased the LDL level and increased HDL levels in blood. A recent study at Spanish university has showed that consuming low fat yogurt has its effect on reducing the risk of hypertension.
- Yogurt helps to keep the skin soft and glowing: Bacteria in curds helps to counteract ill effects of scorching sun on skin and keep skin soft and glowing.
- Yogurt is a natural anti-dandruff agent: It helps to prevent dandruff and also considered valuable in conditioning the hair.
- Yogurt is an excellent source of calcium and protein: The live active cultures in yogurt increases the absorption of calcium than from the milk, thus has link in reducing the incidence of osteoporosis. As active culture of yogurt has predigested protein, colon readily absorbs protein from it.
- Yogurt can give you flat abs.
- For Fresh Breath and a Healthy Mouth, Eat Yogurt daily.
Ref - Indianparenting