Water Retention is the biggest problem that most women suffer from. There are many reasons for water retention, the primary being when the salt intake is high in our diet. . Premenstrual syndrome, which occurs prior to your menstrual cycle, can cause bloating. Pregnancy too can cause swelling in your hands and feet because of the excess fluid retention.
Swelling shows as puffiness of the tissue under your skin. The skin stretches and becomes shiny and after it is being pressed with a finger it gets dimpled. You may gain weight rapidly in few days. There may be aches and pains in your joints. Seek immediate medical help if you have shortness of breath and chest pain.
The common reasons for swelling are –
* Standing for long periods of time or sitting in one position.
* Water retention can happen in the body a week prior to menstruation.
* Hormones during pregnancy make the body retain excess fluid.
* Oral contraceptives can also lead to bloating.
* Deficiency of protein and vitamin B1(thiamine) in diet.
* Weakened valves in the veins of the legs- chronic venous insufficiency result in pooling of blood causing varicose veins.
* High blood pressure and blood sugar medicines can cause fluid retention.
* Eating too much salt.