Are you thinking about going on a diet? Then you need to plan an earlier bedtime too.!
Researchers at the University of Chicago have found out that dieters who had enough rest lost more fat (about—56% of their weight loss)—than those who were deprived of sleep, who lost more muscle mass. (They shed similar amounts of total weight regardless of sleep.)
Dieters who were in the study also felt more hungry when they got less sleep.
Dr. Rapoport says. "When you are sleepy, certain hormones ( the same hormones that drive appetite ) go up in your blood, as sleep and metabolism are controlled by the same sectors of the brain,"
Research into sleep and weight is new and there is much to discover says Dr Siobhan Banks who has been researching sleep and weight loss at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in the US.
At the University of Pennsylvania ,Dr Bank studied 92 healthy adults under periods of restricted and unrestricted sleep and found that those who slept only for four hours gained 1.5 kilograms.
Dr Banks's study reveals that when sleep loss becomes habitual the disruption of hormones and metabolism may contribute to weight gain."
NOW TO THE PRACTICAL TIPS
* "Have one or two spoonfulls of honey prior to bedtime.This can help you sleep better and lose weight at the same time".
* Follow healthy sleep patterns . Going to bed at different times each day confuses your body’s clock. Go to bed at the same time each night.
* Find out the reasons that you may be waking up in the middle of the night.
* If you wake up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, lower your liquid intake before bedtime.
* If your room is not dark enough to promote good uninterrupted sleep, get darker curtains or use an eye cover.
* If there are unavoidable noises wear ear plugs.
* Getting more sleep balances your body’s hormones and reduce urges to overeat.
* Specially do not over eat during night.
* It is advisable to have your dinner by 7pm ie atleast 3-4hours before sleep.
* Eat food that promotes sleep like banana, warm milk, fruits, vegetable soup.