Discover Items At Home Which May Trigger Allergies

Posted by Trupti Shirole on Wed, Mar 9, 2011  
No of Views(3521)

Have you ever thought that there might be certain items at home which might trigger your asthma or allergies? Let us have a look at few such items which will help keep allergies at bay.


Soft fur toys- The cute Teddy bear that your child loves could be harboring lots of dust mites and might be triggering allergies in your family. But do not worry. You need not throw away the Teddy. All you have to do is put it away in the freezer for about 24-hours. Do this every 2weeks. Or you could clean it in the washing machine in 140°F water. Freezing the Teddy or washing it in hot water kills the dust mites.


Indoor plants- We often keep potted plants at home. The moist soil can be a breeding ground for mold. Since consistent dampness in the soil leads to mold avoid overwatering the indoor plants. You could also consider using a de-humidifier.


Nonslip mats and shower curtains- Since the bathroom is most likely to be wet; shower curtains and non-slip mats are also hot spots for the growth of molds. Clean these mats and curtains on a regular basis. Make it a point to clean them at least once every 2weeks. But if you see mold, scrub it off as soon as possible. For cleaning these mats and curtains you can use 10% bleach solution. If you do not get readily available 10% bleach solution, you could prepare one at home by mixing together 1 part bleach and 9 parts water. Another way to keep mold at bay is to ensure that your bathroom is properly ventilated. Keep a window open or install a fan in the bathroom. Proper ventilation will help get rid of mold spores in the air.


New paint or furniture- Volatile organic compounds (VOC’s) are gases which are emitted in the air from new paint or polished furniture. VOC s can trigger asthma attacks for more than a year after you get them. So the next time you repaint your house or change the furniture, choose a low or no-VOC paint and furniture. Generally it is a little more expensive but it will be worth the investment especially if a family member has asthma. Also looking out for such furniture may be difficult. If you have just painted your house and are concerned about the current paint on the walls, you could consider buying a heat recovery ventilator (HRV) which constantly exchanges the stale house air with the fresh air outside.  


Related Links

Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.

Popular Contributors

Lachmi Deb Roy subnirmala HannahSP Krishna Bora Dr.Trupti Antony76 Lakshmi Gopal ThelmaSimon aruna75