In this age of technology & information explosion, everyone experiences stress at some point or the other –adult, teen and even kids. Life is full of hassles, demands, deadlines and frustrations. For teens & kids, exam time has become a period of intense stress and nervousness.
The term “exam stress” can be broadly defined as a feeling of anxiety over one’s performance in the exam. The reaction of parents and teachers weigh upon students and produce a lot of stress that can truly mar their performance. Students are forced to prove themselves in their exams.
So, let us now find out practical solutions to the problem of “exam stress” as even parents suffer from exam stress due to their extreme concerns regarding their child’s performance.
Some sure-fire solutions for parents -
- Stop nagging your child or even sending vibes that adds to the exam stress
- Support & encourage your child to interact with friends
- When you talk to your child & lavish encouragement the child will overcome stress easily.
- Avoid setting rules for studying but help them to draw a practical schedule for studying.
- Never point out their negative behaviour aggressively but remove the fear of dire consequences if they fail.
- Ensure a peaceful atmosphere at home, parents should not quarrel over the child’s performance in the past or about their inadequate preparation or regarding other issues.
- Encourage your child before going to the exam hall and after they come home and prepare for the next exam.
- Always have plan A,B,C for their future, this would ease their burden. For example if the first choice is medicine, let the second option be para-medical course and plan C communication and soft skills etc.
- Give them a sensible diet like fresh fruits, vegetables, salads. Avoid giving them fast food, food from hotels or fatty or sugary foods.
Ensure that your child sleeps well at-least for 6-8hrs every day.