What is a Meditteranean diet?
The Meditteranean diet is one of the healthiest ways of eating. A Meditteranean cuisine comprises of 50% carbohydrates, 30% proteins and 20% fats. One has to eat 5-times in a day- breakfast, lunch, dinner and two snacks(mid-morning 11am and evening 6pm).
What are the health benefits of Meditteranean diet?
- Rich in anti-oxidants.
- Helps in weight loss and can be continued as maintenance diet.
- Increases body's metabolism.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties protects from chronic diseases.
- Lowers the risk of heart disease, type-2 diabetes.
- Fights cancer.
- Protects against allergies and infection.
Guidelines for adopting the Meditteranean diet-
- Mix carbohydrates and proteins.
- Olive oil should be the primary source of dietary fat.
- Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, breads, grains, beans, nuts and seeds.
- Drink atleast 6-glasses of water daily.
- Wine is allowed in moderation (1glass for women and 1-2glasses for men).
- Cut down on red meat.
- Include fish and poultry in moderation.
- Eat low to moderate amount of cheese and yoghurt daily.
Daily physical activity is very important.