Obesity is the bane of modern living. It causes many medical problems and ensures a shorter life span. It gives rise to heart disease, type 2 diabetes, obstructive sleep apnea, etc. Obese children are continually teased by their peers and may suffer from low self-esteem. A little physical effort on their part makes them tired and breathless. They may not be able to focus on work and also may have difficulty performing daily tasks like climbing stairs and tying shoelaces.
What can you do if your kid is obese? Firstly, it may take a while for the fact to sink in and for you to realize that obesity will actually harm him/her in the long run. Then, you will eventually come around to revamping your entire lifestyle around your kid’s well-being.
If your kid needs to lose weight, the entire family must play a supportive role in the anti-obesity programme. It will be easier for him/her to start eating healthy food and smaller portions if everyone else in the family does the same. If you have been telling your child to go out and take a walk, you should personally incorporate it in your daily schedule. Increased levels of physical activity on the part of parents convince children that they need to work out too.
Here are a few things that you can do to have a controlled, healthy meal, three times a day to lose weight.
1. Ensure that half of your plate is filled with fruits and vegetables. A quarter of your plate should have lean white meat or soya nuggets for adequate protein. The other quarter can have multigrain bread or unpolished rice.
2. Eat smaller amounts of food and drink double-toned, low-fat milk.
3. Do not consume cheese, butter or clarified butter (ghee). However, you can have a bit of cottage cheese.
4. When you feel hungry, try and drink some water first.
5. Don’t add extra helpings of salt to what has already been added while cooking. Also, do not use too much sauce when you cook – it contains a lot of salt.
6. The very process of healthy cooking includes steaming, roasting, grilling, and stir-frying.
Give your kid some time to lose weight. Losing a pound a week would be just fine. Be patient and appreciate the efforts that children make. A weight loss programme will not turn into a trying task for a family in which members cooperate.