First of all we wish you and your family a long,healthy and blessed life. At this juncture I would like to reveal a shocking fact that 90% of Indian families are not prepared for a medical emergency. If so, how to face a medical emergency?
- Are you sure where your health insurance documents are?
- Do you have the contact number of your TPA? Do you know the role of a TPA?
- Do you have the emergency procedures list :
- Who to call and what to do ?
- What transport mode you should or can use?
- Shortest route from your home to the nearest hospital or doctor
- Nearest 24hour chemist, and nearest chemist
- A list of medicines that your family members and you are allergic to
Suggestions to be prepared for any major or minor emergency.
Be ready with all the medical documents and history of each member of the family.
- All your documents should be kept in a central location that is easily accessible (BP reports, Sugar reports, x rays, prescriptions and blood reports etc.)
- A history of what medication you have been on in the past should be readily available.
- Last but not the least be ready with your medical coverage documents and health insurance , details of the third party administrator (TPA) of the insurance company and list of cashless hospitals .
In an emergency your mind is too pre-occupied so always be prepared with the contact details of relevant parties.
- Contact info and Location of two hospitals nearest to you
- Contact information of two ambulance services
- Contact and Location info of family doctor or nearest doctor
- Contact and Location info of 24 hr chemist and nearest chemist
- Contact information of different family members, specially of those who are traveling
Do not panic in an emergency! Instead have an emergency action plan with pre-defined responsibilities
- Ready access at home to medical devices and critical medicines especially in the case of family members already suffering from paralysis, heart problems, asthma etc.
- Be doubly sure where your car keys are and ensure that your car tank is full, especially overnight
- Be very familiar with the shortest route to your doctor/hospital
- Let the driver be your family member or well known neighbor.
Whenever you are better planned for a health emergency you can handle things well without stress and panic. Wish you all the best and we once more wish you and your families good health!